Individuals suffering from metatarsalgia face complications when it comes to shoe shopping. There’s much more to consider when buying shoes for metatarsalgia because pain relief is of the utmost importance–the pain in the balls of the feet that defines this condition can make it highly uncomfortable to run, walk, or even stand. Thankfully, there are many shoe options out there that can relieve pain from metatarsalgia, making it possible to comfortably go through everyday activities with this condition.
Here, we’ve gathered a list of the best shoes for metatarsalgia, along with a detailed buying guide and the answers to commonly asked questions. Using the information provided in this article, you can make an educated purchasing decision and select the right pair of shoes for you. Metatarsalgia truly doesn’t have to hold you back from the activities you love; a great pair of shoes can ease pain and provide the support you need to get on with your day.
Top Shoes for Metatarsalgia (Pain In Ball of the Foot) Comparison Chart
|Image||Product||Gender||Type||Price||Where to Buy?|
|1. New Balance Men's Fresh Foam 1080v6 Running Shoe||Men||Running||$$|
|2. New Balance Women's WX608v4 Comfort Pack Training Shoe||Women||Training||$$$|
|3. Birkenstock Arizona Soft Footbed Suede Sandal||Women||Sandal||$$$$|
|4. Hoka One One Men’s Bondi 5 Running Shoe||Men||Running||$$$|
|5. Brooks Women’s Adrenaline GTS 18 Shoe||Women||Running||$$|
|6. HOKA ONE ONE Women's Clifton 4 Running Shoe||Women||Running||$$$|
|7. ASICS Men’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe||Men||Running||$$$$|
|8. ASICS Women's Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoes||Women||Running||$$|
|9. OOFOS Unisex Ooriginal Thong Flip Flop||Unisex||Sandal||$$$$|
Metatarsalgia Shoe Buying Guide
Understanding What Metatarsalgia Is
Metatarsalgia results in pain in the ball of the foot. Those with metatarsalgia experience a high level of pressure around the bones and joints in the ball of the foot, leading to inflammation and discomfort when walking, running, or even just standing. It’s a condition that may result from numerous factors, but poor footwear, such as high-heeled shoes, can be especially detrimental to the health of your feet. So, ensuring that you wear the proper, supportive footwear for your lifestyle is critical to avoiding metatarsalgia.
Factors That Contribute to Metatarsalgia
Besides poor footwear, there are a number of factors that may contribute to the development of metatarsalgia. These include:
- High-impact physical activities such as running put a high amount of impact on the ball of the foot and may lead to metatarsalgia over time.
- The fat that pads the ball of the foot begins to thin as we age, which can cause metatarsalgia in some individuals.
- Foot and ankle injuries, such as metatarsal stress fractures, will lead to pain in the foot and heightened pressure on the foot. Injuries increase an individual’s risk for metatarsalgia.
- In addition to injuries, there are certain conditions that may lead to this condition. These include arthritis, diabetes, and gout. People with bunions are also at a higher risk for developing metatarsalgia than those without.
- The natural structure of your foot may contribute to your likelihood of developing pain in the ball of your foot, meaning that some people are inherently at a higher risk than others. Individuals with long second toes, (longer than the big toe), and high arches are more likely to have metatarsalgia.
Even if you don’t currently have a full-blown case of metatarsalgia, understanding the circumstances that lead to this condition is helpful in avoiding foot pain.
Factors to Look for in Shoes for Metatarsalgia
Simply put, some shoes are far better for foot comfort than others. In many cases, the smarter shoe choice is obvious–no one would argue the fact that sneakers are better for your feet than high heels. However, in other cases, the comparison between shoes is not so black-and-white.
So, what makes a pair of shoes better for people with metatarsalgia than others? Here are a few main factors:
Proper Fit for Walking, Running, & Pain Management
Fit is everything when it comes to foot health and comfort. Shoes that fit improperly will cause discomfort from the beginning, but over time may lead to injury and the development of conditions, including metatarsalgia.
Ideally, you should test the fit of a shoe before making a purchase by trying on the shoe in a store. If you are ordering a pair of shoes online, pay careful attention to the provided sizing chart and make sure that your measurements are a match for the size that you select.
The best shoes for metatarsalgia provide additional width around the toes. This gives the metatarsals extra room to relax and relieves unwanted pressure that can lead to pain. A good indicator that a shoe has enough space in the toe box is if you are able to easily spread and wiggle your toes in the shoe. Shoes that have a tight or very narrow toe box, like high-heeled shoes, increase the amount of pressure on the ball of your foot and can exacerbate metatarsalgia.
Arch Support for Pain Management of Metatarsalgia
Support for your arches in shoes is important for preventing all sorts of foot and ankle problems, including metatarsalgia. Especially for people with high arches, shoes with support in the middle of the foot helps to minimize impact and reduce foot discomfort. Ample arch support is also crucial to evenly distributing pressure on the foot as you walk or run; uneven distribution of pressure, especially during high-impact activities, can quickly lead to injury. Look for midsole padding or soles with arch support while shopping for shoes for metatarsalgia.
Cushioning for the Ball of the Foot
Cushioning in a pair of shoes can make a big difference for people with metatarsalgia. This condition results in pain from pressure on the ball of the foot and cushioning can greatly reduce pressure when the feet are bearing weight. The soles of the shoes should include ample padding designed to protect bones, joints, and ligaments in the feet.
What Type of Shoes Do You Need?
People’s shoe needs differ depending on lifestyle and fitness habits. There are numerous options of shoes for metatarsalgia; to narrow down these choices and find the right pair for you, consider what type of shoe you need. If you’re an avid runner, you’ll need a highly supportive running shoe designed to withstand high impact activities. For those who lead a less active lifestyle, a pair of thoroughly cushioned sandals may be an excellent choice for walking around indoors and day-to-day needs. The best shoes for metatarsalgia for you will be a pair that you reach for again and again, day after day.
Additionally, as with any pair of shoes that you purchase, you need to make sure that the style is one you’ll want to wear. A pair of shoes to relieve pain from metatarsalgia is one that you’ll likely wear for day-to-day activities, so it may be wise to select a pair in a neutral color that will go with many different outfits.
Comparing Prices for Shoes for Metatarsalgia
When purchasing any type of shoes, price point is a critical factor to consider. Running shoes for metatarsalgia are generally pricier than other available options. This is due to the added support, cushioning, and specialized design to relieve pressure on the ball of the foot. However, the heightened price tag for a well-made, supportive pair of shoes is certainly worth it when you are suffering from a medical foot condition.
Without the right shoes, metatarsalgia can worsen, become more painful, and inhibit your ability to perform daily tasks. In addition, worsening metatarsalgia will require continued medical attention, which can easily become quite expensive.
Sandals for metatarsalgia are a less expensive option to consider. While not suitable for exercise, a pair of supportive sandals can be great for easing foot pain around the house, office, or outside during the warm-weather months.
Best Shoes for Metatarsalgia Reviews
When you suffer from metatarsalgia, you must pay particular attention to footwear in order to walk, run, and stand comfortably. There are countless varieties of shoe that claim to ease metatarsalgia pain, but it’s tricky to know which ones will truly help.
Here, we’ve gathered the top ten best shoes for metatarsalgia. These shoes come from a range of different manufacturers and have proven to be ideal for reducing pain in the ball of the foot. While some of these shoes are ideal for running and fitness activities, others are perfect for casual use, or even to slip on at the office.
Consider these shoe options, as well as their pros and cons, before making your final buying decision.
New Balance Men’s Fresh Foam 1080v6 Running Shoe
New Balance is a popular, widely trusted name in the athletic shoe industry. Their Men’s Fresh Foam 1080v6 Running Shoe is a great athletic shoe for individuals with metatarsalgia because of its lightweight, padded design and supportive sole.
These New Balance running shoes have a larger toe box when compared to many other similar shoes. This makes them a fantastic choice for those who need pain relief around the ball of the foot. These shoes also feature a mesh and synthetic upper design for lightweight comfort and breathability.
Two main features of the New Balance 1080v6 Running Shoe are the OrthoLite sockliner and the Fresh Foam midsole. The OrthoLite sockliner, or insole, is designed to keep out moisture and keep your feet dry during exercise. The Fresh Foam midsole provides excellent arch support and padding to reduce impact.
The 1080v6 shoe comes in a good selection of colors including grey/blue, black/red, silver/blue, grey/yellow, and blue/green. So, you can select a style that you’ll truly want to wear and a daily basis.
- These running shoes are lightweight, breathable, and provide ample padding for comfort while walking or running.
- The large toe box relieves pressure on the ball of the foot and can reduce pain from metatarsalgia.
- The OrthoLite sockliner provides additional comfort for athletes by effectively keeping sweat out of the shoe.
- While it’s certainly comfortable for walking and light running, the Fresh Foam midsole may not provide enough support for intense running and sprinting.
- Compared to other mesh running shoes, the 1080v6 shoes weigh more. This is likely due to the added width in the toe box.
New Balance Women’s WX608v4 Comfort Pack Training Shoe
These New Balance shoes are an excellent choice for women who are on their feet for long hours during the day, need a great pair of exercise shoes, and suffer from metatarsalgia. The leather construction and rubber sole make for a good-looking and functional shoe for many occasions.
The main feature of the New Balance WX608v4 shoes is the IMEVA midsole. The dual-density collar uses a combination of densities to provide both padding and strength. The softer density foam gives the foot ample cushioning for comfort and the firmer density foam supports the joints and protects them from impact.
These New Balance sneakers come in a large range of colors and styles, from neutrals like brown, gray, and white to bright purple and pink. You’re sure to find a pair that fits your lifestyle and that you’ll love to wear.
- The leather and rubber construction is durable and can withstand the elements.
- New Balance is a trusted manufacturer and their shoes are recommended by many health professionals.
- The IMEVA midsole with the dual-density collar uses both soft and firm foam. This combination of foam densities provides both comfort and support to ease metatarsalgia pain and protect the feet from further injury.
- Considering that these shoes are from a popular brand and feature a top-quality design, the price tag is quite affordable.
- The wide sole of these shoes is ideal for easing pain in the ball of the foot.
- These New Balance shoes don’t contain enough gel padding for intense, high impact activities, such as long-distance running or trail running.
- The construction of these shoes doesn’t provide as much breathability as some alternative options.
Birkenstock Arizona Soft Footbed Suede Sandal
Birkenstock is a brand known for their well-crafted, reliable, and incredibly comfortable shoes. The Arizona Soft Footbed Suede Sandal is no exception, providing a cork footbed that’s anatomically correct and will mold to the shape of your foot. The cork used in these high-quality sandals is 100% renewable and sustainable, so you can feel good in knowing the production of these shoes is environmentally-friendly. In addition, this sandal is built with a shock-absorbing midsole to reduce the pressure on your feet while standing or walking.
The straps on the Arizona Soft Footbed Suede Sandal are made from smooth, comfortable leather with an adjustable metal pin buckle. This allows you to alter the fit of the shoe so that it’s just right for you.
These Birkenstock sandals are limited to warm-weather or indoor use and aren’t the best choice if you’re seeking an athletic shoe. However, between the shock-absorbing design, adjustable fit, and trusted Birkenstock name, these shoes are a great choice of sandal for people with metatarsalgia.
- The cork footbed molds to the foot for comfort and support. It’s also 100% renewable and sustainable.
- The leather strap is adjustable to achieve the ideal fit.
- These sandals have a rubber outsole and shock-absorbing midsole to reduce the impact on your feet.
- Birkenstock sandals are known for being long-lasting and made from top-quality materials, so this pair of sandals will be around for years to come!
- Birkenstock’s sizing chart may be confusing for consumers. “N” means “narrow” and “R” means regular, referring to width.
- As these shoes are sandals, they aren’t designed for year-round use. In the cold fall and winter months, many people won’t be able to wear these shoes outdoors.
Hoka One One Men’s Bondi 5 Running Shoe
Men seeking great running shoes for metatarsalgia should certainly look into the Hoka One One Bondi 5 Running Shoe. It includes a range of advanced features designed for complete comfort and support, making it an ideal shoe for men suffering for foot pain.
The One One Bondi 5 from Hoka has a mesh upper exterior for breathability and a Zonal Rubber Outsole for durability. More specifically, the mesh promotes the flow of cool air into the shoe while letting warm air escape from the shoe, keeping your feet fresh as you exercise. Additionally, the 3D Puff Print Frame used for the upper part of the shoe is lightweight and makes for a precise and comfortable fit. The ComfortFrame upper section, padded tongue, and EVA midsole work in combination to achieve a perfect fit and enduring comfort. The Bondi 5 is built for running on artificial surfaces, so you can trust that these shoes will keep your feet healthy on concrete sidewalks, streets, roads, etc.
One feature of these running shoes for men that’s particularly beneficial for metatarsalgia is the built-in Ortholite molded insole. This supportive insole cushions the balls of your feet, improving comfort and reducing pressure. In addition, these shoes include the Early Stage Meta-Rocker midsole. This carefully crafted midsole has a low heel-to-toe differential, encouraging a natural gait for healthier feet.
- The Ortholite molded insole provides ample padding and additional support needed by those with metatarsalgia to feel comfortable.
- The 3D Puff Print Frame is both lightweight and provides a close, supportive fit.
- The Zonal Rubber Outsole is highly durable, making these shoes a long-lasting option. Rubber has been placed in the areas along the outsole that receive the most wear-and-tear to further improve durability.
- The Early Stage Meta-Rocker midsole promotes a natural, healthy gait to improve foot comfort over time.
- The Hoka One One Bondi 5 shoes are one of the most expensive options on this list. While these shoes are excellent for your foot health, they are a sizable investment.
- The toe box is somewhat narrower than ideal for pain in the ball of the foot.
- These shoes are mainly designed for running, so other types of athletes may find that they aren’t the perfect fit.
Brooks Women’s Adrenaline GTS 18 Shoe
For women with no intention of letting metatarsalgia slow them down, the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18 shoe is a great option to consider. The synthetic mesh construction is supportive, lightweight, breathable, and attractive–with this shoe, form really does meet function.
This shoe includes an asymmetrical mid-foot saddle that’s adjustable, enabling you to find the perfect fit for both comfort and security. The interior of the shoe includes a soft fabric lining and a removable molded foam insole. The insole provides a moderate amount of cushioning under the foot, but you may remove it and insert a custom orthotic insole if desired.
One fantastic feature of these Brooks women’s shoes is the Progressive Diagonal Rollbar. This tri-density midsole controls pronation and allows for smoother transitions as you walk or run. These shoes also feature a full-length Crash Pad to improve transitions.
- The Progressive Diagonal Rollbar included with the GTS 18 shoes promotes a healthy gait for injury prevention and minimized foot pain over time.
- The adjustable mid-foot saddle allows for a close, supportive fit.
- The removable insole allows you to use a custom orthotic, if desired.
- Brooks includes wider size options, allowing for more space around the ball of the foot for increased comfort.
- Considering their level of quality, these athletic shoes are relatively affordable.
- Due to the fact that the insole is removable, this shoe doesn’t include as much cushioning as some of its competitors.
- For avid runners and lovers of high-impact activities, these shoes may not provide enough cushioning and support.
HOKA ONE ONE Women’s Clifton 4 Running Shoe
This women’s running shoe from HOKA includes some similar features to the One One Men’s Bondi 5 Running Shoe listed above. It includes a seamless SpeedFrame construction that’s lightweight and minimizes pressure on the ball of the foot. The lining of the shoe is constructed from a light, breathable fabric to keep you cool as you exercise. The exterior of the shoe is also made from a breathable mesh with thin synthetic overlays for visual interest.
The forefoot design of the Hoka One One Clifton 4 Running Shoes includes extra width, providing room for the foot to spread and minimizing pressure on the joints. These shoes have a rubber sole for long-lasting durability.
Hoka provides numerous color options for these One One Women’s Running Shoes so that you can get a style that’s perfect for you. From basic black and white to blue and coral to red and purple, you’re sure to find a color combination that you love.
- The seamless SpeedFrame construction is both light and supportive, relieving painful pressure on the feet from walking and running.
- The extra-wide forefoot design is ideal for those with metatarsalgia because it minimizes impact and provides additional room for the toe joints.
- The lightweight, breathable fabric is especially comfortable for athletes.
- These HOKA running shoes are relatively pricey and may not be the best choice for those on a tight budget.
- Customers should pay careful attention to the sizing chart and note that these running shoes run short.
ASICS Men’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe
ASICS is another respected name in the athletic shoe market, and the Venture 6 running shoes for men are undoubtedly an awesome choice for those with metatarsalgia. The rearfoot GEL cushioning absorbs shock and reduces impact on the foot that may cause or worsen pain in the ball of the foot.
The ASICS Men’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe is ideal for trail running, hiking, and general outdoor use. It includes a trail-specific outsole with reverse lugs, allowing increased traction on any terrain. If you love trail running but have been unable to enjoy the activity due to metatarsalgia, these Asics could be perfect for you.
One useful and unique feature of the ASICS Men’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe is the removable sockliner. This allows you to easily insert a medical orthotic without compromising fit. These shoes also feature an AHAR, (ASICS High Abrasion Rubber), outsole, which provides impressive durability due to its strategic placement in areas that experience the most wear-and-tear.
These ASICS running shoes for men come in a wide range of colors and have a synthetic exterior. These shoes are particularly beneficial for individuals with flat feet–the shaft measures about low-top from the arch of the foot, providing ample support.
- The rear foot GEL Cushioning System absorbs shock during high-impact activities and reduces strain on the ball of the foot.
- The removable sockliner enables the wearer to insert their own medical orthotic.
- The AHAR outsole is thoughtfully developed to increase the longevity of these running shoes. The outsole is also designed to provide traction on any terrain for rugged outdoor use.
- These running shoes are synthetic and therefore provide little to no breathability.
- Due to the fact that these shoes enable the wearer to add their own inserts, the sole is not as padded as other options.
- If you’re seeking a shoe for everyday use, the trail running features will prove unnecessary.
ASICS Women’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoes
The ASICS Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoes for women include the same features as the pair listed above for men. The trail specific outsole allows for both uphill and downhill traction on all terrain types. The removable sockliner can be taken out so that a medical orthotic can be inserted, enabling you to improve the overall fit of the shoe.
The Rearfoot GEL Cushioning System included in these ASICS women’s running shoes absorbs shock
during high intensity exercise to reduce impact on the bones and joints in the feet. Over time, this will lessen metatarsalgia pain and improve the overall health of your feet and ankles.
The AHAR Outsole detailed above is also included in this pair of ASICS running shoes for women. It maximizes the overall durability of the shoes with strategically placed rubber to reduce wear and tear.
The ASICS Women’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoes come in over ten different colors. So, you can find the perfect option to match your style! From neon lime accents to black pixel pink and coral, there’s bound to be a color option for everyone.
- These women’s ASICS shoes are great for trail running, with a trail specific outsole that provides traction wherever you are.
- A removable sockliner allows you to insert custom orthotic insoles from your doctor or podiatrist.
- The AHAR Outsole features rubber in carefully chosen areas on the outside of the shoe to greatly improve durability and lengthen the lifespan of this shoe.
- The synthetic material of these shoes may prove to be stuffy and offer minimal breathability.
- The provided trail running traction is not necessary for everyday use, or for those walking or running on artificial surfaces.
- The padding in these ASICS running shoes may prove unsatisfactory for those who chose not to insert custom orthotics.
OOFOS Unisex Ooriginal Thong Flip Flop
For an ultra-comfortable sandal that will minimize pain from metatarsalgia, look no further than the OOFOS Unisex Ooriginal Thong Flip Flop. These 100% synthetic sandals are machine washable and biomechanically designed to promote natural walking motion. The material resists moisture and bacteria, keeping unwanted smells out. Far beyond an average flip flop, these shoes provide the padding and support you need to recover from foot pain.
These shoes feature OOfoam Recovery Technology that absorbs 37% more impact than the typical foam used in footwear. So, as you’re walking or even just standing, less pressure will be exerted on your feet. The patented footbed design supports the arch of the foot, relieving pain not only in the feet and ankles, but also in the knees and lower back.
- These synthetic sandals are machine washable and extremely durable for long-lasting use.
- The OOfoam Recover Technology and patented footbed work together to support and relieve pressure from the feet, providing the ideal design for those with metatarsalgia.
- These sandals are one of the most affordable shoe options on this list.
- These flip flops are only suitable for use in warm weather or indoors, which can limit how often you’ll be able to wear them.
- The price of these OOFOS shoes is relatively high for a flip flop.
- Durability is not a strong point for these flip flops. After heavy use, the shoes may incur significant wear-and-tear.
Final Recommendations for Metatarsalgia Shoes
Just because you suffer from metatarsalgia doesn’t mean you must accept constant foot pain or give up on your favorite physical activities. There are numerous options of shoe for people with foot and ankle pain–it’s just a matter of finding the right pair for you! This article has reviewed what to look for in shoes for metatarsalgia: ample cushioning for the ball of the foot, a wide toe box, arch support, and a proper fit. In addition, it’s critical to find a pair of shoes that’s appropriate for your lifestyle.
For those who aren’t highly active but need a pair of shoes for the home or office, the OOFOS Unisex Ooriginal Thong Flip Flops or Birkenstock Arizona Soft Footbed Suede Sandals would be an excellent choice. Athletes should consider the many great fitness shoes on this list. New Balance, ASICS, Hoka One One and Brooks are all reliable brands that you can trust to deliver on quality and performance.
Metatarsalgia is a difficult condition to live with. But, the right pair of shoes can make all the difference as you work to relieve pain and get back to the activities you love. With the information provided in this article, you can get back on your feet, into a great pair of shoes, and on track to recovering from metatarsalgia!
Frequently Asked Questions About Shoes for Metatarsalgia
In this section, you’ll find the answers to many common questions about the fantastic shoes listed above.
Is there a way to clean Birkenstock sandals?
Yes, Birkenstocks can be kept clean by handwashing. Always give the sandals at least 24 hours to dry after cleaning before wearing them, and don’t place them in the heat to dry. Simply use lukewarm water, dish soap, and a cloth to remove stains and dirt by hand.
To maintain the cork in your Birkenstocks, apply a cork sealer at least once annually. This will keep your sandals looking nearly as good as new for years to come.
What sets ASICS apart from other shoe brands for metatarsalgia, like Nike?
ASICS is different from other athletic shoe brands because of their focus on foot support and comfort. Rather than providing cutting-edge visual designs, this brand provides ample cushioning, top-notch foot support, and other features that work to prevent injury. For these reasons, ASICS is recommended by many medical professionals for people recovering from injuries or conditions including metatarsalgia. While ASICS are technically athletic shoes, people of all different lifestyles may benefit from the brand’s thoughtful shoe designs.
Do the OOFOS Unisex Ooriginal Thong Flip Flop have a heel?
Yes, the OOFOS flip flops have a heel for added foot support and comfort. The heel height measures 1.25″ for all sizes.
What makes Hoka One One running shoes different from Brooks running shoes for pain in the ball of your foot?
Hoka One One athletic shoes are often called “maximalist” shoes. These designs include more cushioning than your average shoe and are built to encourage a better gait. This additional cushioning is one reason why Hoka One One shoes work well for people with metatarsalgia and foot pain in general.
Brooks is, above all else, a company dedicated to runners. As a result, Brooks running shoes have a focus on high-tech features to improve comfort, efficiency, and endurance while running.
What types of exercise are the New Balance Women’s WX608v4 Comfort Pack Training Shoe ideal for?
The New Balance W608v4 shoes are great cross-training shoes, meaning you may wear these shoes for many different types of activities as well as for day-to-day purposes. While this pair of shoes wouldn’t be ideal for training for a marathon, joggers, tennis players, walkers, and others looking for shoes to wear during light-intensity workouts will benefit from these great New Balance athletic shoes.
What is the main benefit of removable insoles?
Removable insoles are a great feature for many individuals with feet and ankle injuries or conditions. This is because of the ability to insert custom orthotics. Custom orthotics that are recommended by a medical professional will help to treat the problems you struggle with individually, rather than an insole that’s been produced for a widely produced shoe. You may find that a custom orthotic is more effective at relieving pain from metatarsalgia than the insoles that are included in many athletic shoes.
Why are shoes with mesh construction desirable?
Mesh is a desirable material for athletic shoes because it provides breathability. When you are exercising and sweating, it’s common for your feet to get overheated. Mesh allows for hot air to leave the shoe and fresh air to enter the shoe, essentially providing ventilation for increased comfort.
Are the Birkenstock Arizona sandals designed for men or for women?
Birkenstock Arizona sandals are unisex and are great for both men and women. This makes them an awesome gift for all types of people in your life.
How do the materials in the “Birko-Flor” differ from the materials in the “soft footbed”?
The Birko-Flor material is synthetic leather that has been trademarked by the Birkenstock brand. It’s comfortable for your skin and can easily be cleaned with a damp cloth. The soft footbed material is on the inside of the bottom of the shoe and includes a layer of foam for added resistance.